Thursday, September 10, 2009

A new angle to life...

A short story ...
Disclaimer; All characters are definitely fictional :)


It's been two weeks since we have known for sure. But, I sometimes think I have known for longer. I have been diagnosed with MS. It's not one of those killer diseases ( I wish it were). It is one of those that lets u suffer for as long as u live, in frustrating little ways.

Imagine forgetting what you were doing or falling flat on your face with absolutely no hint to stabilize yourself or even imagine smiling and knowing that your face is not really showing it as this week you have facial paralysis. In absolute layman terms it means that your brain is fried. And decides to cough every now and then, and you stumble without having any hope to help yourselves. I don't just mean stumble in the physical sense. Your nervous systems stumbles, and is uncoordinated and is lost and there is no way to guide it.

He has not once till this second showed any hesitation in what we had planned for our future. I know now with better clarity that I hit a gold mine. We realize most of our plans now need to be rewritten or edited to meet my new unwelcome needs. Our dreams of trekking all our lives might just remain a dream. Can you imagine a wheelchair on the Himalayas? The picture is just not right isn't it?

We intended to go on a honeymoon every year. Now we only intend to get by every day as a separate life and rejoice at the end of it that we made it. I do not want to pity him for living this life. My only consolation is that he has chosen it with complete understanding of what it means to him. He has chosen a life from which he could have just as easily escaped, and he would be justified.

I intend to live happy, for me and for him. I love him and I know now he loves me more. I only pray his life after me is free of pain and suffering.

My Hero.



************************************************************

We should appreciate our lives and what we have. Many people are heroes, and we will never know it. We spend our lives cribbing and constantly looking for what we cannot have.

I do not intend to get philosophical, but hey this is the way things are right?

So get over it, deal with it, and enjoy life !!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey gube... There is much more to life than going on treks. And there are bigger plans in life which have capsized within a second.. but yeah, just as you said.. that is the way life is... coz often along our life, we forget that there were plans made much before we were even thought of.. somewhere up and above us.. and, unfortunately or fortunately, those plans get the highest priority... Right now, I am sad .. but I am also a little happy for you.. you are lucky enough to have found your hero. :)

Venkat, Subbu etc., said...

"Life, will find a way", Ian Malcom, Brilliant mathematician from Jurassic Park. And Life does find a way!