Disclaimer: Tamil is my mother tongue. I enjoy speaking it, though I am not very good at it (Read lived all my life in Bangalore). I understand it perfectly too. (Read lived all my life in Bangalore).
That being said, let us have some fun with the language. What got me started on this blog? I came across a song that all of us Indians, irrespective of religion, have heard at some point in life. The song is 'Magaganabadim'. If you are one of those people that have no clue what that song is, I hear ya. I had no clue what was being said, till I actually heard the tune. It is the 'Maha ganapathim' song. Tamil text gives French a complex. In French you only say half the word, and pretend to say the rest. You will be making a gross mistake by saying the whole word, and you will probably end up saying something else entirely. Tamil on the other hand is more interesting in that you have the one word with a set of letters, and you do permutations on that bunch of letters to come up with what the word should sound like based on context. Why? Cos many letters have multiple sounds. Cool huh?
This reminds me of one incident in college. One of my friends being as creative as he was in getting into trouble, wrote 'Porn actress' in Tamil in another friend's book. There is a lot of history behind the why's of this action, perhaps another blog. Friend A and friend B are caught giggling by our Professor. Let's call him Prof. HoD. Prof. HoD being a Tamil gentleman goes on to read the book and reads it as 'Born Actress' !!!! Ah Tamil, such a beautiful language. Of course our dear Prof.HoD was not as dumb as you might imagine. He figured it out in about a minute and promptly warned the guys against the use of politically incorrect language. If I remember right, he also decided that friends A and B were a particularly unpleasant smelling species of animals.
Well, I am getting home (blogging in office is considered shameful by some..i don't belong to some) and enjoy some Dea with barle G piscuit, and perhaps eat a pun too. Okay, I know this is overdoing it, but hey as long as we are having fun....
Pakistan offers asylum to Puja Khedkar
2 years ago
1 comment:
Well written Smidha
Well, born actress was hilarious
Post a Comment